As announced late Tuesday night on the Sun City Girls web site:
With deep regret, we must announce that Charles Gocher passed away yesterday [Monday, Feb. 19, 2007] in Seattle due to a long battle with cancer at the age of 54. He is survived by the two of us who adopted him as a brother 25 years ago and his many friends around the world. He will be missed more than most could ever know. Our thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement during the past three, very difficult years. Many of you were not aware that Charles was ill and that’s because he wanted it that way. Details of a memorial in his honor will be announced soon.
— Alan and Richard Bishop
When I received word of this news from a friend yesterday afternoon, I hung up my cell, sat on the nearest stoop, and just cried for a long time.
Charlie was a warm, special, brilliant, gifted guy — and I miss him terribly.
Today, there is a hole in the world.
- Music: “Making Believe”, from Famous Songs from Days-Gone-By by The New Session People (Amarillo, 1997)
- Charlie’s last gig, with Sun City Girls: Jan. 25, 2007, Club Transmediale Festival, Berlin
- Sun City Girls discography
- Charlie’s solo and non-SCG discography (incomplete)
- Photos of Charlie in performance, by Mark Sullo — the photo above is from this link (thanks, Mark)
- Music: “Parting the Sea of Tranquility”, from Pint Sized Spartacus by Charles Gocher (Gravelvoice, 1997)
- Music:Â “Helen Waite”, from Severed Finger With Wedding Ring by Sun City Girls (Abduction, 2000).Â Recorded live at The Rainbow, Seattle, March 18, 2000.
- Video: excerpt from Cloaven Theater (VHS, Sun City Girls, 1994/2004).Â Via YouTube.
- Video: Charlie performs a rendition of “I Protect You From Me” from Horse Cock Phepner by Sun City Girls (Placebo, 1987).Â Via YouTube.